· This debut collection is to be published in the author’s 80th year.
· The title story, “Cat Brushing” was published in the London Review of Books and selected as a Staff-Pick by The Paris Review. “Susan and Miffy” was published in Granta and “Schopenhauer and I” was published in The London Magazine.
· Each story examines the cultural perception that elder women are desexed, docile and brainless, reframing and voicing their emotional and intellectual identities
· Ranging from the POV’s of women in their 60’s to their 90’s, Campbell’s stories plumb the tangibly erotic and expand into the surreal as her women look back on their pasts and envision and fantasize about what’s next.
· The collection is both transgressive and provocative in its treatment of and reflections on sexuality, desire, love, loss and longing.
· Campbell’s work will appeal to fans of Anne Tyler, Mary Gaitskill, Anais Nin, Carmen Maria Machado, Susanna Moore, Edna O’Brien, Joan Didion, Kent Haruf,(Our Souls at Night), Penelope Lively, Eve Babitz, Megan Hunter and Christine Schutt
· CAT BRUSHING might be compared to a fictional version of Three Women by Lisa Taddeo with a broader range of subjects and the movies of Jane Campion in its bold and unapologetic portrayal of female desire
· Pre-empted in the UK by Riverrun, imprint at Quercus UK, publishing in July 2022.